Topics you can’t see, and why

Home Forums General Forums For Both HG and PG General Discussions Topics you can’t see, and why

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  EdB 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

EdB

Out on the rest of the web there is a bit that shows the latest forum posts. Unfortunately it shows ALL the latest forum posts even though some are in the “Members Only” forums. For AHGA Members that’s not a big deal because if they click a title from the rest of the web then they get to the topic because they got permissions. For non-AHGA Members it’s a bit different. They can see that there is a post title and click the link, but they get to the login page. At least I think that’s what they get to – it is kinda hard for me to be exactly certain.

ANYWAY something came up a couple of times that deserves an explanation to AHGA Members. I created a new hidden forum for “AHGA Staff”. This would be the voting board members and the Site Directors. Basically a forum for “people with titles that have to do stuff for the club”. This new ultra top secret limited audience forum is not intended to keep secrets from the club, although in a way it does. The idea was that we could use the forums to handle “staff level” stuff that we normally try to handle with phone calls and emails. The reason for a forum is because it is tracks discussions much better than telephone tag or figuring out current email addresses.

For example recently Allen was calling me. I work nights (he knows that) but his calls were not happening at a time I was available to talk. Anyway I saw the calls and figured it was about flying so I figured I’d call him back when my weekend was near. Turns out it was official club stuff he wanted to talk to me about. Oops! Then recently I started an email thing with the voting staff only I left someone off. Not by design – just lack of knowledge. Oops!

Anyway I wanted to explain WHY there are now topics that club members can’t see and ask the club if this is a problem. If the membership says it sucks then we’ll kill the forums because I don’t want to kill the “recently in the forums” out there on the web and I don’t want the club getting pissed at how we’re using a forum here.

Thoughts?

Bob Herndon

😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 😯 πŸ˜†
    Next we get fema camps huh? LOL! Then wait…wait…wait I know this one so familiar….more taxes?Screen our calls> Then you own our banks, homes and cars.Then we loose our rights, then,,,,,ah never mind…LMAO πŸ˜†
    Sorry thought it was funny and ridiculous as this post….
    I think I will start my own club with locked forums and “for my eyes only” crazy cool important stuff…For important people only….
    *Deep-sigh* πŸ˜•
    This club has changed so much over the past 10 years or so….it’s nothing like it use to be, no one gets together like the “ole” days…
    I can remember 20-30 gliders on the hill at any given weekend, cooking out laughing having a great time…Hell even the schools in which kept the sport alive are gone now?
    WE have a younger group coming up and this is the shit we feed to them?
    The grounds a shaken…….
    “Change” is coming….
    Sorry if I pissed anyone off….
    Bob πŸ˜€
    ******are you truly serious*******??????

Bob Herndon

I’ve got to change that damn Avatar….to distracting…. 😯 😯 πŸ˜†

PPG Jared

sounds like a bunch of BS

allen

Bob, Sorry you feel that we are conducting business behind the club members backs,that is not the case.We’ve been doing this for sometime now.We are supposed to take care of club affairs , which is what we were elected to do. Sometimes it is a little difficult to do through mass e- mailings.This forum makes communication much easier(especially for me).We don’t keep things from the club members.We are your representatives,any major decisions are brought before the club for a vote.The most pressing issue we are dealing with now,is the cleaning of the Mingus storage vault (outhouse).Which we decided to take care of at the last mtg.
    Your right the club is changing,we have more members,more sites,more responsibilities.But with growth,there has to be change.
    As far as people flying and getting together, that still happens.I think we still have a very tight club.It seems that there are still 20-30 people flying each weekend,but not at the same site.The camaraderie and feeling of community is still there.
    thanks Allen

allen

Jared ,If that is your opinion ,why don’t you come to the next mtg. and see how things are handled. Maybe we will put the new forums up to vote on ,for paid club members.
    Hope to see you there, Allen

PPG Jared

My apologies, I was more concened about the site’s ease of use. I really appreciate all that this club has done. I know mingus and many other flying sites wouldn’t be what they are now if it weren’t for the hard work and effort of everyone here. You have to realize however that if we constantly have to rifle through all the “staff” posts to get to post that we can actually read, members are going to stop posting and reading.

matt h

Thanks Ed for explaining. I thought it was more like a hacker with fake posts or something ! Hey Bob why don’t you chill and lets both get back in the mix ! I have my wings, do you yet ? Call me when you’re ready ! 😈

mark knight

One more thing to add incentive to being an officer.

ItÒ€ℒs very difficult to get officers or even just evolvement, yet very easy to get criticism.
    If you want to read the posts then get involved and be an officer.
    I believe we have a few positions opening up this year.

I know mingus and many other flying sites wouldn’t be what they are now if it weren’t for the hard work and effort of everyone here.

The sites open at South Mountain and Mingus, just to name a few were opened by people long ago that don’t even fly anymore. If not for them and their hard work, we would have nothing. I had nothing to do with it then and I thank them for it now.
    I have no idea why I felt that needed to be said.
    Get involved and be a part of the club. We can move mountains if we try.
    Or at least keep flying from a few mountains.
    Mark

Bob Herndon

@PPG Jared wrote:

My apologies, I was more concened about the site’s ease of use. I really appreciate all that this club has done. I know mingus and many other flying sites wouldn’t be what they are now if it weren’t for the hard work and effort of everyone here. You have to realize however that if we constantly have to rifle through all the “staff” posts to get to post that we can actually read, members are going to stop posting and reading.

Ditto…This was my concern Allen, I wasn’t trying to bash just showing concern is all…And your right with growth change does need to happen…Again it’s difficult at times to truly easy to judge, comprehend, things out of text with just reading a “post” and not really understanding full value of the statement…Again my apologies…And thank you for clarifying .
    I just wanted to make sure that things are still kept in front of all of us..So we can all put our input into everything needing to be addressed…

The way ed had stated things is what fired me up a little…I guess it’s hard when you,”WE” are all STRONGLY compassionate about things..

Watching this club grow from years back is pretty amazing itself.The amount of members..etc etc>

I’d like to put out there some more sanction events however with everyone’s “vote” on it? Basically lets try to get together to PR our sport a little more to educate the general public, get our instructors a little more busier..And keep the good vibes “AGOING”
    FLY FLY FLY!!! πŸ˜€

EdB

Okay sorry if I came across as a dick somehow. I gotta run to work again. Well, drive but you probably knew what I meant. One more night then a weekend.

I’m totally open to killing this thing because really my intent is not and was not to piss people off. Just changing from phone calls and emails to one place to take care of stuff that we’re supposed to take care of.

The stupid bit out on the main page sucks. I’ve always known it shows titles in our forums to everyone out there and didn’t really care if a non-member couldn’t get through. So what right? But inadvertently pissing off the club isn’t cool.

I’m gonna see about June 9th off so I can attend a meeting. Haven’t done that in I have no idea how long. If we haven’t killed this “third ultra secret neener neener neener” forum by then perhaps we’ll be able to find common ground in person? Oh and maybe show off how easy it is to brag up a flight on the contest software.

Anyway sorry for being a dick. Wasn’t intended to, didn’t know I did, but hey “it is what it appears to be” is reasonable.

AndrewTR30
    Participant

Don’t know if anyone else has this problem, but I’m a member and I can’t see the “Members only” posts…

EdB

Normally Merle has been taking care of getting members access cuz he’s the one we have to verify with. Might want to drop him a PM with your AHGA number so’s he knows who it is.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.